Peter Kirk Elementary's history began in a little one-room schoolhouse on First Street in Kirkland. In 1890, Central School was built on Bold (First) Street and included both high school and lower grades. In 1935, the school was rebuilt and the new building housed the school until 1969. That site is now the Kirkland City Hall.
In 1975, Peter Kirk Elementary opened in its present location and joined the students from Central School and Norkirk Elementary (previously located on the site of the current Kirkland Middle School)*
In 2018, Peter Kirk Elementary broke ground for a new building, opening September 2019.